Monday, May 16, 2011

Deborah Veale interview

RTÉ.ie Fashion: Deborah Veale designs contemporary, feminine clothes


Winner of the 2007 Tatler Magazine 'Woman of the Year Fashion Designer' award, Deborah Veale's designs are created for stylish women who enjoy wearing contemporary feminine clothes. Deborah has dressed many high profile women in public life including President Mary McAleese, Lorraine Keane, Kathryn Thomas, Pamela Flood, Miriam O'Callaghan, and Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh.


I caught up with the talented designer to find what makes her tick.

GH: Did you always want to be a fashion designer?
DV: Yes, for as long as I can remember I've been interested in design. I grew up in a family of architects and lived in various houses my father designed I think this had a big influence on me.

GH: Where did you study? Did you do an apprenticeship as part of your studies?
DV: I lived in Paris for a year after I left school (Newpark Comprehensive) and came back to go to the Grafton Academy for a year before attending NCAD for a three year diploma course. Philip Treacy and Helen Cody were in the year below me and Daryl K was in class with me. It was a tough course but it was fun as well. I didn't do an apprenticeship just jumped straight in with various jobs in different factories which supplied high street stores. Not the most glamorous start but it was crucial to learn the hard commercial facts of life!

GH: Was it tough getting started in business?
DV: Strangely like lots of things in life it evolved over a period of time and it's certainly had its tough times. I'm lucky to have my partner Charlie Hanrahan he handles the day to day running of our company, it's really important to have the right business model. Designers are notoriously complicated when it comes to business it's very important to focus on what your talent is and let others get on with theirs! To grow and develop a brand you really have to be able to let go and realise you can't do everything!

GH: Is the fashion world as competitive and catty as it's made out to be?
DV: Yes and no! Yes its very competitive but I feel that's a good thing it raises the level for everyone. I don't know if it's catty but your always going to have bitchy stuff attached to this business because its such a visual media. Taste in fashion is so particular to each person. I do know I've made some really good friends in the business.

GH: What has been your greatest achievement in your career to date?
DV: Well the thing which gave me the biggest thrill as a fashion designer was opening my copy of Vogue last October and finding one of my dresses featured! But I suppose I feel we've gone to a different level as we don't just produce clothing we also broke through with accessories and last year we completed our first licensing deal and launched a jewellery collection.

GH: Describe your own personal style?
DV: Oh my god I'm a mess most of the time!! But I suppose my love of clean lines and structure has stayed with me. So, it's understated! I love dressing up for an occasion but it still has to be simple.

GH: Have you had to streamline your business as a result of the recession? How has it impacted you and your peers in the fashion industry?
DV: Yes! I think like everyone else who has to survive these times. We have had to look at all parts of our business and concentrate more on areas which had an immediate effect. We concentrated on our corporate business, retail and accessories while pulling back on our wholesale and export business.

GH: What do you enjoy the most about your job?
DV: Well there is nothing so satisfying as seeing a piece worn beautifully.

GH: Where do you see the Deborah Veale label going in the future?
DV: Building on our export markets

0 comments:

Post a Comment