Monday, May 16, 2011

Interview with designer Lisa Shawgi

RTÉ.ie Fashion: A piece by designer Lisa Shawgi

Lisa Shawgi is a knitwear designer of Irish and Egyptian/Sudanese parentage. She spent most of her childhood in the Sudan before moving to Dublin as a young teenager and she often uses the contrast of both of these cultural backgrounds as an inspiration for her designs.
In 2007 Lisa launched her own label and since then, her work has been featured in publications such as Tatler, Image and Prudence Magazine, The Irish Times, Sunday Independent, Sunday Business Post, Nationwide and Ireland AM .
I caught up with the talented designer to find out what makes her tick.


GH: Where did you study and what was the most valuable lesson you learned?
LS: I studied Fashion Design at The National College of Art and Design for four years. There is not one valuable lesson to be learned but so many along the way. Mistakes will be made. Tears will be shed but perseverance is key. Now before I need to make a decision I always take time to research to justify the answer.


 
GH: How did you get your first big break?
LS: I consider myself lucky whenever I receive exposure from the media. Having acknowledgements from journalists about my work is a huge compliment.


 
GH: How have your designs changed since you started out?
LS:
My designs are constantly developing. They are gradually becoming more defined in style and technique. But also in their commercial value.

GH: Which other designers do you admire?
LS:
To one day be on the same level as Lainey Keogh would be a dream come true. But I admire any designers who takes on the industry, and who are looking to change the workings of it.


 
GH: Is the fashion world as competitive and catty as it's made out to be?
LS:
It is a competitive industry, but which industry is not? But it is a healthy competitiveness, which you will always get from passionate people. It is quite secretive but I think those walls are beginning to crumble as designers are beginning to team up and support each other. Especially in this current climate.


 
GH: Describe your own personal style?
LS: I always dress to suit my shape. I would say it is elegant and sexy. I love layers and texture, and what woman doesn't love a bit of sparkle in her wardrobe?!

GH: Have you had to streamline your business as a result of the recession? How has it impacted you and your peers in the fashion industry?
LS:
You do need to prioritise and make difficult decisions to stay true to your brand. No matter how amazing a piece is if it is not production friendly you have to step away from it. Unless of course it's a different market. It's why you need to be clear about your branding.


 
GH: What do you enjoy the most about your job?
LS:
The creative element. It's always a challenge beginning a new collection but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I hope in the future to travel more with my work as well.


 
GH: What's your advice for someone starting out in the industry?
LS:
Experience and advice. Don't rush into anything; research the path you want to take first. Always speak to those who have 'been there, done that'!

0 comments:

Post a Comment