Monday, May 16, 2011

Interview with Grainne Maher

RTÉ.ie Fashion: A beautiful design by Grainner Maher



I caught up with milliner Grainne Maher to get the lowdown on her career.

GH: Did you always want to be a milliner?
GM:
No, but I have always been a very creative person. I have a degree in music and I always had an intense interest in design of all types; fashion, interiors, architecture. I developed an interest in millinery a few years ago, after soul-searching for an area I could devote myself to after starting a family and wanting to work for myself. I have always loved jazzing up my hair with accessories, and headwear, and I started making the kind of pieces that I couldn't find anywhere else, and loved the attention it drew!



GH: What's the inspiration behind your creations?
GM:
I wouldn't say there's one particular way of describing how I work in terms of inspiration. Rather, I work rather intuitively with the materials that I gather like a magpie. I can be inspired by the most random of things, but really it's more about a sculptural approach to making the pieces; balance of form, colour and texture.



GH: Where did you study? Did you do an apprenticeship as part of your studies?
GM:
I studied privately on a series of short millinery courses, and with world class milliner's such as Ian Bennett who in turn has worked with many of the worlds millinery greats, such as Philip Sommerville. Largely though it's a case of experimenting with new materials and putting very long hours into defining my own millinery style.



GH: Who is your favourite milliner and why?
GM:
I absolutely love work by some of the London based milliners such as Justin Smith Esq, Nazir Mazhar, Victoria Grant, Piers Atkinson.to be honest I could quote many many others. There's a very exciting millinery movement happening all over the world, and I couldn't possibly isolate one favourite!!! Exciting millinery to me is millinery that acts as an accent, or adds an element of eccentricity but without entering the realms of the ludicrous! This world can be a grey enough place to be. Why not dress your head with something that sets you apart?



GH: Was it tough getting started in business?
GM:
Getting started in business, especially in the recent years of financial recession both north and south of the boarder, is tough for everyone. Unless you have been born within a family of business people, taking the plunge is a daunting thing for any start-up. I was very lucky, in that I won a large grant of £10,000 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. It was from a pot of money called the Creative Industries Innovation Fund and was absolutely crucial in helping me establish my presence as a milliner and fund equipment etc. Without it, I would certainly not have been able to grow my business as fast as I have.



GH: What has been your greatest achievement in your career to date?
GM:
I have just won the Northern Ireland Fashion Designer of the Year 2010 at the Ulster Tatler People of the Year award ceremony. I was really overwhelmed to win, as I considered myself the wild card of the 3 finalists, but I certainly welcome the recognition that it gives to my millinery work, and that the fact that it really puts the 'hat' on the map in fashion circles.



GH: Describe your own personal style?
GM:
Any shade as long as it's black! I've been wearing mostly black forever really, though I am gradually introducing colour into my own wardrobe! I prefer the idea of tailoring, and stitching to add interest and shape to an outfit, and of course I would rarely been seen out and about without a cocktail hat or mini beret of some description. Oh, and as I'm quite short - 5ft 1ish, I wouldn't be seen without platform heels!



GH: Have you had to streamline your business as a result of the recession? How has it impacted you and your peers in the fashion industry?
GM:
Millinery is an interesting area in that it largely relies on the wedding industry for business. I have found in these times of recession that women who choose hats for their weddings are still not compromising on what they want, which includes not compromising on budget. Rather what they seem to do is wait for an extra 6-12 months to set the wedding date, whilst they spend that time saving cash to afford what they are after, which includes headwear or tiaras and veils.



GH: What do you enjoy the most about your job?
GM:
I love being my own boss. I love being able to work on a whim at unsociable hours if that's when the inspiration for a new idea comes to me! Mostly, I love the way I can transform ladies opinions about hats from something which ages you and makes you frumpy, into something which makes you feel the most glamourous, gorgeous you have ever felt, adding height, interest and becoming the girl that makes others turn their heads. And all for good reason! A carefully chosen headpiece will take years off you and make you feel sexy and confident.



GH: Where do you see the brand going in the future?
GM:
I would love employ staff in order to increase the number of pieces available to boutiques that stock my work. I will continue to collaborate with other couture designers to offer a head-to-toe solution for women, and I would love to meet other designers who wish to have GMM headwear as part of their offerings.



GH: What's your motto?
GM:
Carpe Diem

0 comments:

Post a Comment