Monday, June 6, 2011

US pop sensation goes Gaga over Irish designer





She's known for her over the top style, but when it comes to making a statement, Lady Gaga often turns to Irish designers for her inspiration - having worn creations from Philip Treacy, Joanne Power and Una Burke. Recently, she wowed the audience on BBC1's Graham Norton Show by donning what she described as a "wedding dress" by Sorcha O'Raghallaigh. The pop star, who is known for choosing clothes by cutting edge young designers, told the Irish host that she wore the dress especially for Graham as it was made by an up-and-coming Irish designer.

 "I wore this for you," she told Corkman Norton "It's a young Irish designer named Sorcha O'Raghallaigh. So I wore this for you." The style and pop guru, currently the biggest pop sensation in the world, is a huge fan of Sorcha's work - and has also worn a black PVC dress she designed for the opening sequence of the video of 'Born This Way'. For 26 year old Sorcha, it's an incredible achievement but the designer from Birr, Co. Offaly, says that she never planned to pursue a career in fashion design, as her first love was art.
 "I just always interested in art," she admits. "All I wanted to do was drawing and make things; I was never very good at anything else. I suppose my first love was art and I as time went on I was more drawn to fashion. I was always obsessed with clothes from a young age, especially my mum's wardrobe growing up and I loved watching the ritual of getting glammed up for a big night out."
 Once Sorcha hit her teens, she realized that her true passion was fashion - so she ditched the paintbrush and picked up a needle and thread; she hasn't looked back since. Sorcha attended the Limerick School of Art & Design and, after that, she studied fashion at London's Central Saint Martin's College of Art, where designers Alexander McQueen and Paul Smith studied.

Her relationship with pop's first lady was sealed when Anna Trevelyan, assistant to Nicola Formichetti, her stylist and the man responsible for her most extreme outfits - including that meat dress - scouted the Irish designer at her graduate show. "I had a mini- heart attack when Lady Gaga contacted me," she admits, "but once Anna Trevelyan saw my graduate collection everything changed."

But what does she think of the pop star and her headline grabbing style? "She's the perfect customer for me because there is no boundaries creativity and it's exposed my work to a much wider audience than I ever imagined," she says. Looking forward, Sorcha hopes that her design label will enjoy continued success: "I want to build my label step by step and hope that I am still doing what I love in years to come." No doubt, her star will continue to rise.

Here's a peek at her recent collection...


0 comments:

Post a Comment