Sunday, May 29, 2011

So you want to be a fashion stylist?

RTÉ.ie Fashion: The stylist studied fashion design in NCAD



Celebrity stylists such as Gok Wan, Patricia Field and Rachel Zoë have helped to make fashion styling one of the most desirable professions around.Previously an insider's job with little recognition and even less money, styling is now a career with the profile, prospects and pay packet that many young women aspire to. In their millions. Everyone wants to be a stylist, see a stylist, and have a stylist. But what does a fashion stylist actually do? And how do you break into this competitive industry? I caught up with leading stylist Rebecca Flanagan to get the low-down.


GH: What encouraged you to get into this industry and what was your route into it?
RF: As a child I was always surrounded by art, design and fashion. From a young age I was always dressing up in wacky outfits, drawing pictures of models from magazines and designing dresses for them. Having gained work experience with both stylist Sonya Lennon and Irish designer label Quinn and Donnelly, I knew fashion was the career for me. I spent over two years preparing my portfolio and I was accepted into the NCAD. During my graduate year in fashion design I was nominated for multiple awards. I was the winner of the River Island Graduate Bursary award and I was a finalist in the Persil Irish fashion awards. As part of my award I completed a paid internship contract with the high street giant River Island.


GH: Many girls think that being a fashion stylist is a 'dream job' where you are basically paid to shop. What's the reality behind the gloss and glamour?
RF: The reality is that very often you are restricted by budgets and the availability of garments. You have to become very inventive and have the ability to improvise; you always need a back up plan, as very often things will go wrong on the day! After all the hard work, long hours and exhausted limbs, I always get really excited to see the final images of a photo shoot or how happy my clients are with their newly styled look!


GH: Most people don't really understand what a fashion stylist does. Can you tell us what your job entails?
RF: I have styled a number of high-end fashion shoots. I am really passionate about working closely with photographers, developing concepts and themes. Styling the shoot takes a lot of research and I must source interesting garments and accessories. I like to get really involved on set with the hair and makeup artists and the photographer creating ideas about how we will direct the shoot.I have a variety of clients for whom I style. I take clients on one to one to help them develop their personal style and to teach them better shopping skills. This involves a lot of teamwork with the client, knowing their wants and needs and styling them appropriately to give them the confidence they need with their new look.I also style fashion photo shoots for up and coming models and photographers who are looking to develop their portfolios to be suitable for the fashion industry.

GH: Where do you source your pieces for your clients? Where do you get your ideas from?
RF: I like to keep a close relationship with everyone who I source pieces from. Very often I use graduates collections for edgy fashion shoots. They usually offer really conceptual and interesting shapes and textures to work with. I have a great collection of accessories, props and garments that I have collected during my travels. Very often these items inspire me to create a concept or a theme around them.


GH: What magazines do you scour for inspiration?
RF: I read Vouge and Bazaar but I mostly use websites actually. I use style.com, net-a-porter; ASOS and I regularly check the website of some of my favourite labels. I also find new people to work with on glossom.com and modelmahem.


GH: If you could spend a day with a fashion icon, living or dead, who would it be?
RF: It would have to be Sarah Jessica Parker; she would be the most fun!


GH: What is an average day for you?
RF: I work full time for Joanne Hynes as an assistant designer and a print designer. I also develop my own collections for my own design label Resin. I have the weekends to do styling and my own designs. Fashion is a 24/7 career and as a young designer I am interested in a lot of areas within the fashion industry.


GH: What is the most rewarding part of your work? What is your greatest accomplishment so far?
RF: Having your garments move down a runway or feature in an editorial spread makes all the work worthwhile. Winning the River Island Graduate Bursary award was so far my greatest and happiest achievement.


GH: What would be the best advice you would offer to stylists trying to break into the industry?
RF: In the beginning it will take a while to grow your clients list and establish yourself, so you may need to have another gig on the side. Many stylists also have a fashion blog or write fashion articles. As for advice, always treat all garments and accessories lent to you with care and return them promptly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment